Friday 9 September 2016

Golden Goals: Niall Quinn and Kevin Phillips for Sunderland v Chelsea (1999) | Rob Smyth

Niall Quinn recalls his brilliant strike partnership with Kevin Phillips – and the day they left one of the world’s great defenders begging for mercy

You had a great time at Sunderland. Was that period from around 1998-2001, when you were promoted to the Premier League and finished seventh in consecutive seasons, the best of your career? Yeah, it was a pleasure to be playing football at that time. Each game was a joy. It was far more valuable because I was in my thirties and knew time was running out. We were in the top half of the table, there was no pressure of relegation and we had a fella who was liable to score 30 goals in Kevin Phillips. That’s the holy grail for every team. I had my career extended because I was playing alongside him and he was gobbling up any opportunities whether they came via me, Nicky Summerbee, Allan Johnston or whoever.

Related: Golden Goal: Roberto Baggio for Juventus against Internazionale (1992) | Rob Smyth

Continue reading...Football | The Guardian http://ift.tt/2cKvGtb